UC Riverside is taking over the month of November with an alumni-exclusive concert featuring R&B superstars TLC, volleyball against UC Irvine, a 5K run/walk honoring the Native American spirit and culture, anniversary celebrations, mixers, and an EDM concert that is open to the general public.
Here's a list of Homecoming events, organized by audience.
For Students, Faculty, Staff, and the General Public
Everyone is invited to the following celebrations, so bring family and friends, and get ready to make new connections with Riverside locals.
👟 Spirit of the Tribes 5K: Register for Native American Student Program's 18th annual fitness fundraiser that supports student programs and scholarships. Nov. 18 at 7 a.m.
- Individual registration is available for $25 or register in a group of 5+ for a discounted rate.
- All registered participants will receive an official t-shirt and goodie bag.
🎶 Odyssey Concert: Electronic Dance Music lovers are invited to Homecoming Odyssey, a free-to-all on-campus concert, hosted by UCR’s ASPB. Nov. 17 at 6:15 p.m. in Lot 19.
- The music lineup features Osamason, Frosttop, and Juelz.
- Enjoy food, attractions, and a laser show. (Caution: lights may be unsafe for those with epilepsy or light sensitivity.)
- Follow @aspb_ucr for Odyssey updates.
- All attendees are required to sign a university waiver.
- Promo items are only available to undergraduate students on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Undergrads must pick up their wristband ahead of time. To do so, they must first verify their RSVP on Highlander Link and then present their physical R’card during these wristband distribution days:
- November 13; 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at HUB Plaza
- November 14; 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at HUB Plaza
- November 15; 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at HUB Lawn & 6 p.m.-9 p.m. at the Bell Tower
- November 16; 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at HUB Plaza
- November 17; 9 a.m.-11 a.m. at HUB Plaza
This event is open to the UCR and Riverside community. Graduate and Extension students and other community members can pick up their wristbands at entrances if capacity is not reached. Registration is not available for graduate and Extension students or community members.
🏐 Volleyball: Dig into your Highlander pride and rally for our women's volleyball team as they play UC Irvine. Nov. 4 at 4 p.m.
- UCR is 17-46-2 all-time vs. UCI.
- This is the 66th all-time meeting dating back to 1973.
- A win will be the first over UCI since Nov. 4, 2021, when UCR erased a 2-1 set deficit to earn a five-set victory at the SRC Arena. Anya Green hit .364 in that match with 10 kills, adding three assists, four blocks, and three digs.
- Sophia Ewalefo has led UCR in kills in each of the last three matches.
- Please note: Volleyball tickets are free for current students but must be purchased by all others.
For Current Students, Faculty, and Staff
Celebrate UCR’s bold hearts and brilliant minds at these events hosted by student support departments.
- Attend the Women's Resource Center's 50th Anniversary to learn what's new at the WRC, meet alumni, and celebrate our milestone anniversary. Nov. 4 at 6 p.m.
- You’re invited to the Academic Resource Center's 50th Anniversary for a reception celebrating half a century of student support. A special invitation is extended to former ARC staff, both professionals and students. Nov. 3 at 6 p.m.
For Alumni Only
UCR alumni were invited in late September to reserve tickets for themselves and up to 5 guests to an outdoor concert headlined by R&B superstars, TLC. (Yes! Thee 90s female musical group who’s known for hits like, “Waterfalls,” “No Scrubs,” “Creep,” and so many more bangers.) The event is at capacity and we are no longer accepting waitlist requests. Nov. 4 at 1pm
- Music: Opening the concert for TLC will be alum DJ Alf Alpha (Rafael Lopez ’06) who will be soundscaping the afternoon with a mix of electronic, hip-hop, and other groovy sounds from his Super Sonido Bus.
- Activities: Pre-concert fun includes live mural painting by LA-based street artist Jonas Never; a Ferris wheel; a 360-photo booth; and a dedicated Family Zone with games, face painting, caricatures, coloring sheets, and other kid-friendly activities.
- Giveaways: Free UCR t-shirts and other giveaways are available for alumni and their guests at the UCR Alumni Association and College Interactive booths, while supplies last.
- Food & Drinks: On the day of the concert, food will be available at Sub Station (near Lot 24); The Habit Burger (on campus); and various food trucks, like Burning Buns, Fuego Me Up, The Churro Truck, and Maneatingplant (in the concert area). Alcoholic beverages are available for purchase and consumption near the Bell Tower for 21+ concertgoers. Complimentary water stations are scattered around the campus, so bring empty water bottles for unlimited, eco-friendly refills.
For Alumni VIPs Only
Members of giving societies and other select groups of university supporters/volunteers who attend the TLC concert will have access to a VIP Lounge area with complimentary picnic meals and bar service. To qualify for the VIP Lounge experience, Highlander alumni are encouraged to offer financial support for UCR students by joining one of our Giving Societies.
For Everyone Around the World
UCR’s beloved mascot and everyone’s BFF, Scotty the Bear is celebrating another trip around the UCR Bell Tower. The only birthday gift on Scotty’s wishlist is for you to make a donation that supports the Highlander family.
We’ve only mentioned a handful of homecoming opportunities in this article, so visit the UCR Homecoming 2023 website for a complete list of how you can access this year’s start-of-school celebrations, individual event details (dates, times, and registration), and FAQs.